I have been wanting to refresh a piece of furniture my sister and I picked up for FREE a while back. With all this rain we are getting in VA it’s time to do a little DIY indoors. This turned out to be a great weekend project. I was able to tackle it in my kitchen and it turned out better than I had hoped! I really enjoyed it and may have to go on some thrifting adventures to find something else to try.
What I used:
- Soap & water/degreaser
- Very light sandpaper
- Killz Primer
- Behr premium pain
- Foam roller for smooth surfaces
- Drop cloth
Here is the dresser the day we picked it up 🙂 We were so happy to find it!
Time to get the prepping over and done with, that is never the fun part- lol. All I need to do was:
- Remove the stickers. Peeling off what I could and spraying the rest with WD40. Once it sits for a bit the sticky residue wipes right off and helps to remove any leftover sticker pieces (a trick I learned from my Hubbie).
- Removed the hardware. I thought I needed to replace these but surprisingly cleaned up great!
- Lightly sand the top and a few of the edges.
- Quick wipe down with soap and water to help remove any of the sanding and leftover oil from the WD40.
Phew, now that that’s done it’s time for primer 🙂 ((I’m being dramatic that whole process was less than an hour 😛 ))
After the primer dried I did two coats of paint using a 4″ foam roller for smooth surfaces. The paint was leftover from our downstairs powder room.
At last, the finished project! It worked out perfect for our guest room. Since nothing was damaged, the knobs were able to be clean and I only used leftover supplies the entire project didn’t cost a single penny! 👛 Awe, success!
A quick comparison of the dresser and it has such a fresh look. 😀 Hope you enjoyed the look at this little rainy day project. ☔